Fortunes and Misfortunes of Life

,

Life has this nasty habit of using the element of surprise. Things happen without notice, which force us to find a way to adapt in an attempt to "prosper" or "survive."
One of such surprises are the sudden changes of weather. Last week was sunny and bright, birds were flying and singing, people wore shorts outside, and everyone started getting into the twitterpating atmosphere of spring. Yesterday and today have been windy and cold, snow falling and sticking to the ground. It is below freezing.
The injustices of life are not limited to the inclemencies of the weather, but extend to all fields and areas I can think of. Opportunities arise, and just when one has built up the hopes of finally receiving a reward from destiny, she hides her hand and closes the door.
When I find myself in that situation, I feel like joining the choir in singing the words of one of my favorite choral compositions, Fotuna Imperatrix Mundi, from Carmina Burana:


O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,
ever waxing
and waning;
hateful life
first oppresses
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty
and power
it melts them like ice....
I bemoan the wounds of Fortune
with weeping eyes,
for the gifts she made me
she perversely takes away.
It is written in truth,
that she has a fine head of hair,
but, when it comes to seizing an opportunity
she is bald.

How can one deal with the ever-changing circumstances of life? The wise suggest optimism and preparation. It is amazing to me how those two things can help overcome the injustices of life, but they work. It is just as Gordon B. Hinckley said:

Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I love this, Dan. You always know how to take something nasty and flip it around to make it better.

Myra Bybee said...

Dan! I didn't know you had a blog! Now I know and I will have to read your blog. Listen, when it gets too cold in Utah, I have a solution for you: Come to Las Vegas!

Post a Comment