Holi: The Festival of Colors and the Red Dot

,

This weekend I had the chance to participate in the celebration of the Festival of Colors at the local Krishna temple. To be honest, when I first got there I had no idea what the festival was about. The only reason I wanted to go was that I had heard from many people that last year's festival was a blast, and also because a lot of my friends were going this year too.

When we finally got there, we purchased a couple of bags of powdered colors, so that we could have something to throw at each other. We also so a lot of people with the traditional "red dot" on the forhead and decided to get one myself. After getting one, I ran into a friend, who asked me what the dot meant. I was little embarrassed to confess that I didn't know, but I tried to play it cool and left. Internally, I realized that I knew nothing about the tradition, and felt like a fool. I was just following the crowd. What was I doing there and for what purpose? I decided that I would find out what the celebration was about, first to show respect to the religion and culture, and also to get rid of the feeling of foolishness.

After reading a little explanation on the bag that contained the powder (very convenient), I learned that the whole point of the celebration is to commemorate the burning of a demoness, Holika (that's where the name Holi comes from), who attempted to kill her nephew Prahlada, because of his devoutness to the god Krishna (or Vishnu in other traditions). Holika had a shroud that gave her the mystical ability of immunity to fire, so the plan was to take her nephew into the fire, take care of the problem, and come out of the flame unharmed. It turns out that as an answer to the nephew's prayers, the shroud flew from Holika to him, protecting him from the fire, and burning her in the process. This teaches us the lesson to pray always.

Now, after reading that I wondered what all that had to do with the colors. That took a little more work to find out. The god Krishna is believed to have complained to his mother about the contrast between his dark skin complexion and Radha's (Shakti or energy that drives the world) fair skin complexion. Krishna's mother decided to apply colour to Radha's face, thus introducing the concept of equality, love, and unity to the celebration, which is also a way to usher in the spring, the season of love.

Knowing these things made the experience a lot more significative for me. I was not doing things blindly anymore.... Yes, it was a blast, and a bonding experience for me and my friends.
So from the whole experience I learned that there are beautiful lessons to be learned from different practices and cultures. I also learned that doing things just because is not a good idea. I have decided to never again participate in activities without knowing the meaning and purpose of them.

Now, about the red dot.... I found this information online. It was very enlightning, and somewhat ironic, since I was wearing it without knowing this. Now I can wear it knowing what it means. I post it FYI:

The 'Red dot' on the forehead is not always only red and nor is it always a dot. The dot is called 'Kumkum' or 'Bindi', and when worn by men it is called 'Tilak' (mark). Usually Hindu women, priests, monks and worshippers wear it. Men wear it on auspicious occasions such as Puja (ritual worship), or marriage,or Arati (waving of lights) on festive occasions such as on Bhaai-duj, Karvaa Chaud or Paadwaa or Dasshera) or while embarking on, or upon return from a voyage or a campaign. It is also worn by Jains and Buddhists (even in China). Like all Hindu symbols,'red dot' has multiple meanings which are all valid at the same time. Let us explore them :

1. By one simple interpretation it is a cosmetic mark used to enhance beauty.

2. In meditation, this very spot between the eyebrows (Bhrumadhya) is where one focusses his/her sight, so that it helps concentration. Most images of Buddha or Hindu divinites in meditative pose with their eyes nearly closed show the gaze focussed between eyebrows (other spot being the tip of the nose - naasikagra).

3. The encyclopedic dictionary of Yoga informs that this 'Ajna Chakra' is also called as the 'Third eye'. This center is connected with the sacred syllable 'Om' and presiding it is 'ParaaShiva'. After activation of this center, the aspirant overcomes 'Ahamkar' (ego or sense of individuality), the last hurdle on the path of spirituality. (Encyclopedic dictionary of Yoga, by Georg Fuerstein, Paragon House Publ, NY, 1990,p.15).

Thus the monks apply the auspicious mark of Kumkum on the forehead as an act of worship to the inner Guru to overcome ego. It is also the same reason why married women wear the 'red dot'. After marriage Hindu women give up their name. They take the pains of pregnancy and delivery, yet the child carries father's name. This selfless sacrifice is done out of love, and for the sake of family and society. It is for this reason wearing the red dot is considered a sign of 'Soubhagya (good fortune)', because sacrificing you ego and performing selfless action out of love is considered a sacred act and a good fortune.

4. Magsasay Award winning Pandurang Shastry Athawale who is kindling 'back to Vedic basics' spirit, writes 'Tilak is not a mere cosmetic adornment, or sign of being religious, it is a symbol of worship of intellect.

Worship of intellect is trusting your own intellect AND other's intellect, especially in the fields you do not have enough knowledge. Intellectual honesty and its worship have been corner stones of Hindu thought. At the end of Gita (18:63) Bhagwan Krishna asks Arjun 'Vimrushyaita dashesheNa yathechhasi tathaa Kuru' 'Fully THINK (ponder) on what I said and then do as YOU deem fit'. Indian scriptures ask 'Drushtipootam nyasetpaadam, vastra pootam pibet jalam' - Look (think) before you leap (embark on any activity) and 'filter he water with a cloth before you drink'.

It is this intellectual honesty that made losers in debates such as Mandan Mishra sincere followers of the victors like Shankaracharya. Shankaracharya writes 'If Vedas tell that fire is cold, then I will not accept that. But at the same time I am confident that Vedas will never tell me such things'.

Kathopanashad calls intellect as the charioteer. Body is a chariot, Indriyas (sense/conative organs) are horses, mind is the reins to be used to control them, Atman (Self) is the rider within, and Vishay (objects of senses) are the tracks on which horses run. (Sanskruti Poojan, by Pandurang Shastry Athawale, Sadvichar Darshan Trust, Mumbai, 1988, pp.225-8 in Hindi/Marathi/Gujarati) Shastryji also mentions tilak as the 'third eye' of Shiva and reminds that Shiva destroyed Madan (God of desire) by opening the third eye. Thus the Tilak asks us to not look at women as object of desires, but look with 'Bhaav'- respect, honor and worship for their sacrifice for the family and society.

It is intellect worship the Kumkum symbolises. Hence a victor returning from a campaign is applied a Tilak. It asks us to overcome the ego, be selfless, yet asks to do all actions/ work/ worship with intellect.

1 comments:

Brit said...

This makes me wonder how often I do things blindly!

Post a Comment