On Nature and Gratitude

,
This weekend I had the chance to spend time pondering about nature and the beauty and exquisite order that is its essence. I had the chance to visit the zoo, the natural science museum, and enjoy watching a couple hours of Planet Earth. I realized the soothing and healing power that taking time to examine and enjoy our natural surroundings can have. I was able to find peace, increased understanding, and even a good laugh just by forgetting about myself and becoming aware of what is out there. It was truly a feast to my senses. I was reminded of the words by Hamlin Garland, who said: "Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy. " I was happy. I was content. Such emotions of happiness and contentment came from the expression of awe and gratitude, which in turn came from taking the time to stop and observe the wonderful gifts from out Creator. I am always amazed at how the smallest expression of gratitude can transform our state of mind. This is better stated by Melodie Beattie when she wrote:

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."

2 comments:

Rachel Leta said...

Dan, I'm always amazed at your mastery of the English language! You express yourself better than many whose first language is English! I felt the same way on Saturday. I am in no way an environmentalist, but taking time out of our technology entangled world to apreciate the natural beauty God has given us is one of the best ways to realize His love for us.

Caitlin said...

This made me really excited and yet at the same time I felt at ease just thinking about how beautiful this world really can be. Thanks. That was definitely something I needed.

Post a Comment